Tuesday, June 17, 2008

I Enjoyed Watching Paint Dry

When I was a kid one of the things that I hated the most was that if my dad thought that his opinion, or idea, or whatever was right he would tell you the same thing over and over and over again. I guess it was his way of making you believe it or making sure that his opinion became yours. I hated it then and I still hate it. Oftentimes when I was a kid I would dig my heels in and do or think the exact opposite....just because I could. Well, this weekend he started in about how much he hates Tiger Woods. He ranted and went on and on and on about how Tiger has ruined the game of golf. His reason for thinking this is that, according to him, no one in the media talks about any other golfer except Tiger. He says that they don't tell you how many strokes ahead someone is in a game, they just tell you how far behind Tiger is. I don't know how to put into words how emphatic he was and how obnoxious. Until then I had never followed golf. Don't get me wrong, I totally knew who Tiger was, and probably several other golfers. I knew that Tiger was GREAT. I knew that our fine city was hosting this years Open and that everyone in the world was here visiting. But, to actually sit down and watch a golf game....never would have happened. That is, of course, until my dad started and wouldn't stop.

My sister says that watching golf is like watching paint dry. Sunday afternoon I decided that I was going to watch paint dry and I was going to decide for myself what it was that Tiger had done to deserve my dad's wrath. Well, I'm happy to say that watching paint dry isn't all that bad. The announcers that I heard talked about several of the men on the tour and it didn't take me long to figure out that Tiger has earned every last accolade spoken about him. I found myself actually enjoying the round on Sunday afternoon. By the time Tiger had forced an 18 hole playoff on Monday, I found myself pulling for him. I do admit that some of this was purely because my dad told me not to.....lol. Monday morning found me watching the playoff round and becoming more of a Tiger fan. Oh my.....to do what he did with a bum knee! He was amazing. On the 18th hole, down by one stroke...my hands were over my eyes because I couldn't bear to watch. Then to force the game to sudden death? All I have to say is Tiger Woods you are awesome! If the media only talks about you, then the rest of your field needs to bring their game up a notch. Watching you with your beautiful baby girl afterwards was adorable. The way she held her arms out to you....yep you are just a horrible person. The fact that, when interviewed, you only had kind words of praise for Rocco Mediate....yep you are bad for the game. I probably won't tell my dad that I think you deserve everything said about you, because, well, that would never be in my best interest, but I'm glad that the rebellious little girl in me reared her ugly head. Otherwise, I might just have missed something really special.

4 comments:

Crayl said...

He is amazing to watch, not that I do very often, well at all right now (no tv signal) ...I am glad your dad was so vocal.

Lori said...

I occasionally watch paint dry myself. Mostly because my husband watches paint dry. Troy isn't a huge Tiger fan only because he usually roots for an underdog and Tiger is never that. But he definitely appreciates and has respect for Tiger. I really like him. We watched him beat Rocco also.

That's funny about how he ruined the game of golf. The other day someone told us that Angelina Jolie ruined Namibia. I was kind of wondering how one actress could ruin an entire country. I didn't vocalize my confusion, however.

Also, I am assuming you meant "reared your head" not roared. But boy did I get a hilarious visual on that one.

Vicki said...

I'm telling Dad you like Tiger Woods! I'm telling! You can't stop me! Boy, are you ever gonna be in trouble! Come to the fair with us today and maybe I won't tell him....

Anonymous said...

Is it cold in here? I think hell must be frozen because...I...watched...paint...dry...too. Ah! I only watched on Monday because it was a playoff and I didn't start watching until the last eight holes. I wanted Rocco to win, just because nobody gave him a chance, myself included. But its not like I'm mad that Tiger won. He is great after all. Okay, don't tell anyone I watched golf. I think I hate myself a little bit for it.