Tuesday, June 3, 2008

How Time Flies....

My daughter and grandson have come and gone. They were able to spend a week, but it sure felt like a much shorter visit. When I picked them up at the airport, I was afraid that my grandson wouldn't remember me or that he wouldn't be happy to see me. After all, I'm not Grandpa. When he came down the escalator he broke into a big grin and gave me a heart-melting hug. From there we went to lunch with my son and his girlfriend. He was excited to see both of them. Then we went to see Grandpa at work. He walked right in and when he saw grandpa he half screamed and half laughed. How he loves his grandpa! It never ceases to bring a smile to my face and joy to my heart.

The first weekend they were here we went camping. The weather was less than cooperative. In fact, for So. Cal it was freezing.

My grandson was bundled up like this much of the weekend. At some points I was wearing a long sleeve shirt, sweatshirt, hooded zippered sweatshirt, and a fleece jacket. I looked like the Michelin Man. My daughter was heard grumbling on more than one occasion something along the lines of, "Are you kidding me? If I had wanted weather like this I would have stayed in 'that other state'!" My grandson didn't really seem to care. He would play and play until his little face and hands were red from the cold. We spent the weekend with some friends and, in spite of Mother Nature, I think a good time was had by all.

After camping, we spent one morning at the zoo. My grandson really isn't that impressed with the zoo. I think it's that he has to be lifted up to see into most of the cages. He would rather just walk and look at things that don't require him to be confined. He enjoys the petting zoo and the sky cups.

Here he is with me in front of the stinky flamingos. Why do they smell so bad anyway?

That afternoon, he got to visit with one of his great-grandpas and his great-grandma. Unfortunately, he wasn't feeling very well. Our first clue was when he fell asleep in his stroller at the zoo. Our second clue was when he wouldn't eat a french fry. His uncle (who loves him more than words) was kind enough to share a cold/virus thing with him. He started running a fever and became 'clingy boy.' The only person who was capable of loving him and providing for his needs was his mommy. While it was too cute, we all felt sorry for him. By the next day he was feeling better. Just suffering from a little head congestion and the visit continued.

Thursday came much too fast and it was time to go to the airport. Of course, we had to stop by and pick grandpa up at work to go with us. This required another visit with the helicopters. My grandson walks through the entire aviation facility like he owns the place. He visits with everyone and sits in the helicopters and leads his proud grandpa all around.

"These are my controls Grandpa."

"Someday I'll be tall enough to fly this all by myself."

"Hurry, hurry Grandpa. There's more helicopters over here." "I'll need to sit in each one of them."

After spending a few minutes in the hangar, we were off to the airport. Once we put them on the plane we began the countdown to the next visit. Today we are at 37 days. I instructed him that he needs to be able to say Grandma and Grandpa next time. Next visit: Disneyland and a 2nd Birthday Party!

No comments: