Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Summer Fun Continues

In late August, my daughter and her boys came to visit us for almost two weeks. When we had last seen Little Buddy, in Lake Tahoe, he hadn't been very happy. He didn't willingly come to any of us and he preferred, in fact demanded, to spend all of his time with his mommy. When I picked them up at the airport I decided that I would just ignore Little Buddy and let him come to me in his own time. The Rock Star came running (literally) out of the terminal and jumped into my arms. He gave me the biggest bear hug, all the while telling me how much he loved me, how much he had missed me and how excited he was to be here. Of course my heart melted. My daughter told me that he had been telling everyone on the plane that he was coming to see his Grandma. About that time, I felt a little hand patting me on the leg. I looked down and Little Buddy was grinning from ear to ear. I bent down and hugged him and we were best friends for the rest of the visit. Apparently, if you do things the Little Buddy's way it works out better for everyone.

We had a busy week. The weather started out boiling so we went to the pool. The Rock Star promptly got stung by a bee and screamed bloody murder. In his mind that bee must have been the size of a B52 bomber for all the ruckus he made. Grandpa got the stinger out immediately, but he still needed the lifeguard to put three band aids on his foot. We spent a lot of time in the pool, the spa and at my sister's pool.

We planned a beach trip with my son and daughter-in-law. Of course it was freezing that day. We made the best of it and the boys seemed to have a good time, even if the rest of us wished we had parkas!

Of course we had to visit Grandpa at work. That just goes without saying. It is also imperative that each and every helicopter is properly sat in. I just adore the first picture of Grandpa and his boys.

Our son-in-law arrived and we ended their visit with a camping trip. We had a big group. Our son and daughter-in-law joined us, along with her parents and several of our friends. The boys made new friends with Nevaeh and Trinity. They played for hours, went fishing and made s'mores. There was a huge pile of rocks near our campsite that all of the kids climbed on. Little Buddy followed, climbed to the top and screamed "Dad" while waving frantically. Almost as if to say, "Look at me. I'm all grown up and playing with the big kids." About every 5 minutes he would scream dad again. He was so excited to be playing with the bigger kids. The Rock Star caught his first fish. Little Buddy slept in a tent for the first time and The Rock Star slept on the top bunk in the trailer with Grandma and Grandpa. THAT was something special! The adults played a ladder golf tournament. We all ate way too much and the weekend went way too fast.

When the weekend was over, it was time for my daughter and her family to head back to 'that other state that they live in' so that the Rock Star could start pre-school. Hubby and I went home to prepare to leave for another vacation in just a few days. More on that to follow, but we were definitely blessed to have some quality time this summer with family and friends.

1 comment:

Lori said...

Matthew's arms look ridiculously long in the pic of him in the spa. Ah well...he's super adorbable (as a certain little girl at Tahoe would say).