Wednesday, December 10, 2008

I'm Back!

I just got back this afternoon from visiting my daughter, son-in-law and grandson. I had a great time. On the way home, I was praying and thanking God for blessing me with the opportunity to spend a week with all of them. I thought I would share some of my conversation with Him:

Dear Heavenly Father:

Thank you so much for getting me to and from my daughter's safely. Thanks for the added bonus of having no one else seated in my row either direction. Thank you that the trip was basically uneventful.


Thank you for time spent with my daughter. Shopping, baking, wrapping, talking and laughing. Those are the kinds of things we miss the most not living close to each other and I thank you for a weeks worth of them.

Thank you for the delight on my grandson's face when he saw his daddy and I pull up in the driveway. When he ran toward me shouting, "Gee Gee" with his arms wide open and a huge smile on his face my heart melted. How many times can you actually fall in love with the same person?

Thank you for the fun morning at the mall watching him visit Santa Claus. He was adorable. I'm so glad I got to actually hear him say that he wants Santa to bring him a "green hat." What exactly is that all about? Thank you for the means to be able to buy him new shoes and pictures taken on Santa's lap.

Thank you for letting me share "teetsa at Tosco" with him. (Pizza at Costco.)

Thank you for the mornings when he came into my room and crawled into bed to snuggle with me. He was so cute in his blanket sleeper dragging his blanket behind him with that silly pacifier in his mouth. (Why is it that when his mom had her's my goal in life was to get. rid. of. it., but he still looks so dang cute with his? ) Those mornings were so special. We would lay in bed and talk all about what we had done the day before and what we were going to do that day.

Thank you for all the times he reached into my pocket to take out my cell phone so that he could "call PaPa now." Then he would tell his Grandpa the same thing over and over and over again. Thank you that he has a memory like an elephant and can't forget that when he was here in October there was a bee in the spa and a lizard in grandma's hair. Thank you that, for whatever reason, he had to remind Grandpa about it six times a day. Thank you that he loves his Grandpa that much.

Thank you for his language development in general. There were new words almost hourly. We didn't nickname him 'Echo' for nothing. Please let him forget when I said it was "butt freezing cold" and we heard the little echo of "butt cold."

Thank you for bath time filled with giggles and wiggles. For bubble blowing and splashing galore. For the opportunity to snuggle with the towel wrapped, baby shampoo smelling, little boy.

Thank you that I'm grandma and I don't have to discipline him for dragging the chair over to the counter to 'steal' a fresh baked cookie that mommy said he couldn't have, or send him to his room when he won't stop pitching a fit when he doesn't get his own way in general. Thank you for helping me to not laugh out loud when he won't eat, won't get in or out of his carseat, won't come when called and when he talks back. The last time I heard NO with such conviction was out of his mommy's mouth. I guess the apple really doesn't fall far from the tree. Thank you God that he is strong willed. I know from experience how awesome those kids eventually turn out to be. Besides, it's only fair that a certain strong willed little girl gets paid back.

Thank you, most of all, for the glimpses of the loving and Godly spirit my little Grandson already shows. For the concern he showed when his mommy's tummy was upset and he brought her an extra pillow. For the way he held the baby at church and kissed her eye. For folding his hands to pray when he eats. For his love of going to 'chuch' and the adorable way he says 'Jeesuss.' For already knowing that 'Jeesuss' is special. For the way he finds baby Jesus in all of the Christmas decorations and gets so excited when he points him out.

I could go on and on and on and thank you all day for one cute thing after the other, but this is only a 1.5 hour flight. Anyway, I'm pretty sure you get my drift. Thank you for a wonderful week.

In Jesus' name,


Amen

1 comment:

Lori said...

You forgot, "Thank you that I didn't need the Immodium even though my daughter did."