Wednesday, April 20, 2011

There's A New Kid On The Block

My handsome and talented son has started a new blog.  It's a cooking blog.  Yep, you read that right.  My son loves to cook.  He comes by it naturally.  My dad was an amazing cook.  Sunday dinner was never as good as when it was prepared by him.  Unless, of course, you were the unlucky one that he asked to stir the gravy, but that's a post for another day.  The food was still good if you were the one asked to stir the gravy,  you were just a little bit annoyed by the time dinner was on the table.  As he has gotten older, my dad has cooked less and less.  One of his signature recipes is his apple pie.  He decided a few years ago that he didn't want to make them anymore.  They just took too long and he would rather run to the local bakery and pick them up.  Well, my son was having none of that and asked Grandpa to teach him to make them.  Grandpa doesn't have a recipe.  My son watched and remembered and now he is the official pie maker for all 'Pumpernickel' family gatherings.  I love to cook and try new recipes too.  Although, I'm pretty sure that the real talent for cooking skipped a generation and went straight to my son.  That being said, I am proud of his culinary expertise and would like to think that I had a teeny tiny part in his wanting to cook. 

When my daughter was getting married, I put together a notebook of family favorite recipes for her.  At the same time, I made one for my son.  I thought that he might think it was lame and not be the least bit impressed, but he appreciated it.  He started cooking while he was living on his own and going to college.  He has never stopped experimenting with recipes and that's a good thing.  He mentions in his new blog about how some recipes you try are just terrible, but that that is ok.  I'm hoping that means he has forgiven me for the beyond awful orange chicken recipe that I inflicted on him when he was a teenager.  I'm pretty sure that might have been a throw it away, get in the car, let's go to McDonald's kind of night.

Anyway,  my son's new blog is yummy, colorful and humorous.  Check it out here.  I think you'll really enjoy it.  Bon Apetit.

No comments: