Saturday, January 19, 2008

To lie or not to lie

My question of the day would be, "When is it ok to lie? and when is a lie a lie?"

So, today I'm in the fabric store looking at patterns. A woman, probably in her late 30's or early 40's approaches me and asks me for my opinion. She states that she has picked out two different fabrics to make a shirt for herself. She can't find a mirror in the store and she wants to know which one would look best on her since she can't see for herself. She proceeds to hold them up under her chin. This is where it gets tricky. I, personally, wouldn't have been caught dead in either one of them. One was a blue plaid. Very hard to imagine it made into anything that a woman would wear. The other was a very busy pink, yellow and white mess. Neither of them looked particularly good on her, but it was obvious that she liked them. I ended up saying that I thought I preferred the blue, but that they were both nice and either would work fine. She said that she only wanted one...so she would choose the blue. Here's my question....should I have seriously said, "Oh my goodness, they are both horrid and no self -respecting person would choose either of them, unless of course they were trying to get onto "What not to wear?" I mean, what are our obligations to the total stranger?

1 comment:

Lori said...

You did the right thing. I don't know how God sees it, exactly. But I do know that if you had told her that no self respecting person would wear either, you would have broken her spirit. Maybe you didn't have to go to the extent of saying that both were nice. Maybe, "Well, I think the blue." That way you wouldn't have actually lied. But in any case, you did the right thing, for sure.